January 22, 2011

NYIP Unit 1, Lesson 3, continued

I finished Lesson 3 last Saturday.  In my opinion I didn't learn as much about "The Lens" as I should  have.  The conversational type lessons are easy to listen to and hold my attention fairly well, but I think I'd prefer a little more lecture with the conversation. Another instructor joined Chuck and Missy for the end of this lesson.  I didn't catch his name, but he's very experienced.  I am probably learning more than I think I am by listening to the professionals discuss what they do, but only time will tell how much I'm absorbing.  Not counting my self-assigned research, this lesson took a little over 2 hours. 

I started Lesson 4 this morning on How to Use Your Camera with the same 3 instructors mentioned above.   Again I feel like I would prefer more lecture even though the conversation was quite interesting.  I got lots of pointers on what the professionals do, but as a rank beginner I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

The lesson books/booklets are very nice.  They are more like glossy magazines than text books. They are well illustrated, both with drawings and pictures, and are easy to read. 

[Update 2/23/2012: Not all of the booklets I received were like "glossy magazines".  Some of them were 20 - 30 years old with no color.  They were not all the same size but all fit into the included slipcover (except for the pdf lessons should one want to print those).   NYIP should have more of the booklets updated by now. 

Booklets for lessons 1 - 6, 8 - 11, 13 - 15, Unit 5 (2 lessons), and Unit 6 (3 lesson) were from 2008 - 2010,  with lessons 7, 12, Unit 5 (3 lessons), and Unit 6 (2 lessons) from 1978 - 1995 ] and 6 lessons from Units 3 - 6 as pdf files.  There were 3 "Updates" booklets for Units 4 - 6.  Some of the booklets are labeled with the lesson number, some are not.]

As nice as the lesson books are, I think I want to supplement them with a book specific to my camera, but there are so many books available for the Canon Rebel T2i that I can't decide which one(s) to get.

No comments: