January 2, 2011

New York Institute of Photography

Before I plunked down any money for the NYIP's Complete Course in Professional Photography, I did a lot of on-line research and reading.  I found a lot of people, like me, who wanted to know more about the course.   That's why I'm going to chronicle my experiences with the course.  I've very opinionated and I like sharing my views with the rest of the world.

After I did my research and decided to take the course, I plunged in feet first and paid my dues in full.  I did this for several reasons:
  1. It saved money over the installment plan,
  2. I had the money and I might not have it next year,
  3. I got a box full of freebies.
Within a month, I'd received my "welcome package" and other assorted papers, including an enrollment agreement (2 copies - one for me and one for them that I have to mail back by providing my own stamp), a student ID card, a welcome booklet which answered a few questions for me, a "personal" schedule form, and a small 66 page "Professional Photographers Log and Reference Guide" (small meaning a little larger than pocket size.)

I also received my free gifts:
  1. a welcome letter (not addressed to me personally) from the director, Chuck DeLaney,
  2. a monopod with a carrying bag and instructions (I learned something already - how to use a monopod correctly by forming a tripod with it and your legs),
  3. a collapsible reflector in a carrying bag that has other color reflectors inside itself (you'd have to see it, I can't explain it, but a note of warning - don't take it out of the bag till you need it because you have to fold it back up.  To see a demonstration, watch this magician on YouTube, then watch this guy to learn how to get it back in the bag),
  4. a 4 GB thumb drive,
  5. and a travel bag (it's a large, zipper-closing tote with no padding - I'm not sure I'd want to use it to carry an expensive camera etc  However, it does make a nice place to store all the NYIP papers I've received to date and later will be handy to carry around extra non-breakable stuff when I go on location. 
  6. I didn't get the promised lens cleaning cloth because it's out of stock, but Chuck's letter did say if I wanted it, I could send them an email and they'd send me one as soon as they're available.

Altogether, I'd estimate I got about $40 - $75 worth of freebies, all emblazoned with a large NYIP logo. 

Next post: Unit 1, Lesson 1 (Unless I post about something else.)

No comments: