January 16, 2011

F Stops

After my last lesson on f stops I wanted to know more about them.  Like, why are they called f stops and how did they come up with those numbers.

Thanks to Rex914's article on the forums at Digital Camera Resource Page  I now know how the numbers are derived.  It involves Pi and the square root of 2 (which is 1.414).  It looks like there are good camera reviews and buying guides on this site.

The f may stand for fraction or function.  I'm just guessing, speculating, making it up.

As usual when I'm surfing the web, I found several other interesting sites.  Here are just a few of them.  (Please note that these sites are new to me so I can't verify the contents, I'm only recommending that you check them out if you find the subjects of interest to you.) 

David Dahms and Paragon Press
Lens Focal Length Chart
Nature and Wildlife Tips
Check out the wildlife photos when you visit this site.

Photonhead
Beginners Guide to Photography
Digital Camera Buying Guide
Photography Tips   (Be sure to experiment with the SimCam)

Bryan F Peterson
I read today that Bryan F Peterson has been a photographer for about 30 years which may be why he looks like a photographer.  He's been teaching photography for 20 years and has written several photography books that have received great reviews.
Picture Perfect School of Photography  If you register, you can access free video photography tips.
His blog It doesn't look like this blog has been updated since July 2010, but there are some interesting articles here.  I recommend you read the June 25 entry, Every photograph is a lie ....

No comments: