January 1, 2012

Project 52

I’m reading and researching most of the time when I'm not at work.  Sometimes it’s important stuff.  Sometimes it’s insignificant, but important stuff.  Sometimes it’s just weird.  Usually, it starts as one or the other, but then I get sidetracked and by the time I’m finished, I can’t remember where I started.

I was researching something the other day when I came across the phrase “Project 52” a couple of times, so when I finished the original research I Googled “Photography Project 52”.   This is what I learned.

Project 365, as it relates to photography, is a yearlong project to take one picture a day for a year.  That doesn’t sound so hard, does it?  At least not for someone who likes taking photographs.  But you know how it is, life gets in the way of living and you miss a day or two here and then a week or two and then you forget about it altogether and you’re nowhere close to half way through the project.  Project 52 is a yearlong project to take one picture a week for 52 weeks.  So of course, Project 12 would be one picture a month for 12 months.  Sometimes you can’t even keep up with Project 12.

Let's borrow a phrase from journalism and consider the What, Who, When, Where, Why, and How of a photography Project 52:

What:
  • A photography Project 52 is a commitment to take at least 1 photograph a week, usually following a specific theme or topic
  • Project 365 photographers commit to taking a photograph a day
  • For those with a fear of commitment, there's Project 12, one picture a month
Who:
  • Me
  • You
  • Any amateur photographer wanting to improve photographic skills.
When:
  • Every month, week, or day
  • Next year, starting January 1
  • Anytime you want to start
Where:
  • Where ever you are
  • Indoors or outdoors
Why:
  • to improve your photography skills,
  • to help you be more creative,
  • to provide a challenge,
  • to have fun
How:
  • Using any camera you have
  • How ever you want

No comments: