April 17, 2011

NYIP, Unit 5, Done!

I just finished Unit 5 of the NYIP course.  I got an A on the comprehensive exam.  Which surprised me a little but the questions I got right and the ones I got wrong surprised me a lot.

I've already the discussed the photojournalism lessons.  The next lesson was called Finishing Touches; the copyright on the text booklet was 1979.  The topics covered were The Zone System, How to Mount Prints, How to Spot Prints, How to Tone Prints, and How to Set Up a Darkroom.  Much of this referred to film and film cameras.  If you're still using film and want to develop your own prints/slides, I'm sure this was very helpful.  In my opinion this was an odd place in the course to have this lesson - between photojournalism and fashion photography. 

The lesson on fashion photography was good and the audio part was interesting.  If you think you'd like to become a fashion photographer (or a fashion model), I recommend you watch Tyra Banks and America's Next Top Model.

This unit finished up with Macro Photography, Astrophotography, and Coping [old pictures, documents, and paintings].  This lesson included how to take pictures through a microscope and telescope which was interesting, but one has to wonder how many photographers are going to have access to a microscope or telescope. 

Actually, the last lesson in this unit was Color Printing which was about processing color film.  Because this lesson is being revised, a text booklet wasn't available and I had to download it in pdf format from the NYIP website.  However, the lesson and final exam were optional and if I send NYIP an email, they'll send me the booklet when it's available.

I understand the general principles of the Zone System, but that doesn't help me use it. 

Wim Reyns has a guide to matting, mounting, and framing a photograph that includes lots of how-to pictures (some are inter-active).  Frame Destination has an article on several different types of Picture Frame Mounting Techniques.

Check out the fascinating micro-photographs on Dark Roasted Blend.

If you want more information on astrophotography, the website Catching the Light  by Jerry Lodriguss looks like a great place to start.  I wasn't interested in astophotography before I saw the photograph of the star trails on the last page of the NYIP text booklet, so I'm going back to Catching the Light as soon as I can get a round toit.

This unit included a booklet and audio lesson on Starting Your Own Business which were very helpful.  The audio conversation between four of the NYIP staff of varying ages and experience was quite interesting.  A few of the best tips they gave included (1) utilize the free services of the U. S. Small Business Administration, (2) write a business plan, (3) get your own business cards as soon as possible, and (4) set up a blog and/or website. 

On to the last unit!!

No comments: