April 24, 2011

My NYIP Review

Well, I took the last comprehensive exam for the NYIP complete course in professional photography and completed reading the text, listening to the last audio CD, and watching the last DVD.    That took about 4 1/2 months, but for almost an entire month I didn't touch the lessons. 

Students are supposed to complete a photographic project at the end of each unit and submit them for review, but I haven't done any of them yet.  I have 3 years to completely complete the course to get a certificate, but I plan to have all the projects done by the end of the summer.   I will reserve my final opinion until I graduate.  

To summarize my experiences with the NYIP course to date:

I calculated that this course cost $28.50 an hour if you only count the time spent listening to the CDs and watching the DVDs. But there's more, much more!, as they say in television infomercials. 
  • I got 31 text booklets (with copyright dates from the 1970's through 2010), 3 update booklets, and 6 pdf lessons that I downloaded from the NYIP Internet site.   (I see no excuse for having 30 year old text books in a course costing this much money.  And don't give me the excuse that some things in photography haven't changed so it doesn't matter because (1) printing technology has improved and these booklets could have/should have been updated , (2) camera technologoy had changed GREATLY in 30 years, (3) the business of photography had changed, and (4) post-production technology is vastly different.)
  • The texts were accompanied by 19 audio CDs which, as I've noted  before, were more conversation than lecture.  This made them more interesting and they were educational in their own way, but I would have preferred more lecture type information, if you know what I mean, or (even better) more DVDs. 
  • Matching slipcase binders were included for the text booklets and CDs and DVDs.  (I could have used another one for the business booklets.)
  • I got 6 booklets (about 50 - 70 pages each) from the NYIP Essential Business Skills Series.
  • There were 5 business related CDs.  I found the conversational style in these CDs more valuable than in the other audio lessons.
  • I found the information in the 6 DVDs to be pertinent despite being dated and I might watch them again as I complete the projects. 
  • I got about $50 - $100 worth of 'free' gifts and a discount by paying the tuition in full:
    • A 16 x 18 zippered travel bag with the NYIP logo emblazoned across the exterior pocket
    • 4 GB hi-speed USB thumb drive
    • Professional mono-pod with travel case
    • 5-in-1 reflector with travel case
    • Large lens cleaning cloth
    • Photographic umbrella
    • Professional gray card
    • Professional photographer's log and reference guide
    • Two slipcover type cases (one for the lesson booklets and one for the CDs/DVDs but none for the business booklets)
    • NYIP Photoworld press card with a plastic holder to put on a string around my neck (I provide the string)
  • Students can get a substantial student discount on Adobe products like Photoshop and Lightroom when purchased directly from Adobe and a 7% discount at RitzCamera.com.  [Update 3/20/2012: I did buy Lightroom last year directly from Adobe at a very nice discount with my NYIP student card.  I did not need a separate photo ID as some other posters on other sites have advised. ]
  • I haven't needed to interact with the student advisers, but they are supposed to be there if I need them. I was supposed to receive the name of a personal student advisor with a personal phone number, but apparently I don't have one.  I get four!  All advisers share a common email address, but I do get a phone number for each one.  However, the calls aren't toll free.  The listed advisers for me were Chris Corradino, Tom Cavalieri, Associate Dean Jerry Rice, and Ella Manor.  (Update 09/20/2012 - I did send one or two emails questions and a different advisor replied within one or two days.)
Lesson Booklets:
Unit 1
Eye of the Photographer
The Camera
The Lens
How to Use Your Camera
Unit 2
Image Capture
Exposure
Processing Black & White Film
Digital Processing
Filters
Developing Your Eye
Unit 3
Natural Light and Available Light
Artificial Light
Electronic Flash & Strobe
Travel Photography
Nature and Landscape Photography
The Perfect Print
Optional: The Darkroom (pdf download)
Unit 4
Basic Portrait Lighting
Studio Portraiture
Location Portraiture
Child and Pet Photography
Wedding Photography
Optional: Color Film Processing (pdf download)
Unit 5
Photojournalism 1
Photojournalism 2
Fashion Photography
Finishing Touches and the Zone System
Macro Photography , Astrophotography, and Copying
Color Film Printing 1,2, and 3 (pdf download)
Unit 6
Advertising and Still Life
Architectural Photography
Optional: View Camera (pdf download)
Optional: Glamour and Nude Photography
Optional: Video Handbook, Part 1
Optional: Video Handbook, Part 2

Business Booklets:
Freelance Opportunities
Introduction to the Business of Photography
Clarity is Your Only Style
Business of Wedding Photography
Starting Your Own Business
How to Open Your Own Studio

Business Audio CDs (5):
Freelance Opportunities
The Business of Photography
Clarity is Your Only Style
How to Enter and Win Contests
The Business of Wedding Photography
Advanced Business Techniques

DVDs:
Depth of Field, Shutter Speed, and Panning
Exposure, Filters, and Developing Your Eye
Portraits and Lighting
Wedding Portraits and Lighting (3)

Added 11/26/2011 - You may also want to read NYIP Photography Course Review and NYIP Photo Assignments.  

6 comments:

Gustavo Gonzalez said...

Did you like the course?

Martha said...

Thanks for reading my blog, Gustavo. My answer got kind of long so I turned it into a posting. See the post for July 22 for the answer.

txratz said...

Just completed the first unit with NYIP. Love the course i have been taking pictures for several years and after the first unit realized that i really have been missing a lot of things with my camera because i didnt really use all the features that are availible. Waiting on second unit to arrive love the ability to work the study around my schedule which is a major plus.

Martha said...

Good luck with the course, txratz. It takes a lot of willpower to complete the whole course on your own, but it doesn't take more than a few months if you stick with it. A suggestion: The NYIP course isn't very helpful in teaching you about your particular camera. Try to find a course on using all the features of your camera - in person if you can, or with a DVD or online course.

Miranda said...

This is great! I was actually just writing my first blog post about my experiences as I go through the course and decided to see if anyone else had the same idea. That brought me here. Great read so far and I hope to become a better photographer by taking this course. :)

Here is my review of it, so far: http://lifes-greatest-blessings.blogspot.com/search/label/NYIP

Martha said...

Hi, Miranda. Thanks for commenting. I added your blog url to the post Another NYIP Student's Blog (September 15, 2012). http://persimmontreephoto.blogspot.com/2012/09/another-nyip-students-blog.html

I wish you much success with your course, and with your home organization contest (I need to do that!), AND, most important, with the other project you have - congratulations to your whole family. (I love those tights with the pink shoes.)

If you want to go into business, I suggest you check out PhotoShelter's free photo guides and sign up for their free Business Bootcamp at http://www.photoshelter.com/mkt/research/. (It's a lot easier than Marine bootcamp. LOL)

And I think you'll find creativeLive's workshops beneficial. http://www.creativelive.com/

I don't know when you're going to find time for any of this with 2 little ones.