February 20, 2011

NYIP Unit 2, Lesson 6 cont.

I finished Lesson 6 yesterday.  The one on Exposure.  Frankly, I didn't find this lesson all that informative.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention.  This is the stuff you have to know to take better than average pictures.  There will probably be more information in the video. 

I have found already, just 6 lessons into the course, that they do repeat topics and go into more detail in following lessons or even in different parts of the same lessons.  For example, yesterday they discussed light meters in more detail and explained more about how to use them.  

They also talked a little about using auto exposure features on a camera.  And they gave some hints on special situations such as photographing snow, night scenes, fireworks, and the moon.

I would recommend that anyone taking this course practice what is taught as soon as possible after the lesson.  (This applies to any other course for that matter.)  I'm not heeding my own advice and I know I'll regret it later when I won't be able to remember a darn thing. 

While exploring photography topics on the Internet, I read over and over that Bryan Peterson's book on Understanding Exposure is a must have in every photographer's library.

I also "completed" lesson 7 yesterday which was about developing black and white film.  This was a short lesson and one which I'll probably never need.  They didn't discuss it much, but recommended that students keep the lesson booklet for future reference if needed.

No comments: