February 22, 2011

NYIP Unit 2, Done!

On Monday I finished the rest of the lessons in Unit 2, Digital Processing, Filters, and Developing Your Eye, then tonight I finished the Live Action Video. 

The DVD was very interesting and informative, even though much of it focused on using film cameras.  However, many photography techniques apply equally to film and digital cameras.   The video included a segment on how to assess a used camera and lens.  NYIP discourages students from spending a lot of money on cameras, accessories, and gadgets. 

About 75% of the Digital Processing lesson covered scanning.  I didn't find this relevant and skimmed through it.  There were paragraphs here and there that were pertinent to cameras, but I probably missed most of them. 

I learned that the most important filter to own is a polarizing filter, and then neutral density filters.  Many effects that used to be achieved with filters can now be done with image editing software.

Developing Your Eye was a short lesson on learning to look and see before taking photographs.

  1. The Digital Photography School has an article on 10 Deadly Post-Processing Sins that's funny as well as helpful.
  2. Cambridge in Color has a good tutorial on lenses.
  3. There are great tips on how to take great pictures by focusing on your subject at Photography by Briana.
  4. You might also want to check out the NYIP podcast on Three Guidelines for Great Photography.
I took the exam before watching the video and, as I said in an earlier post, I didn't pay as much attention to the lessons as I should have.  I only got 52 of 60 questions right for a grade of 87% (B+).

No comments: