October 10, 2011

A New Project

During my studies and research, I have read several articles that suggested photographers study pictures taken by professional photographers to help improve their own skills in lighting and composition.  One of the NYIP photographers said that when she started, she had studied the lighting in photographs.  An article I read this summer recommended that the new photographer start a scrapbook using magazine pictures.  It gave me the idea to create a digital scrapbook or album using on-line pictures.

I chose Composition as the theme for my project and not only have I enjoyed creating the album, I found it to be a fun way to learn more about photography.  Composition is a very broad topic and my project is still a work in progress even though I’m up to 180 PowerPoint slides.  I may have to divide it into several different files if it gets much larger. 

Here’s the outline for a "course" on making a Photography scrapbook to enhance your photography skills if you’re interested.  There’s more information about what I did on the page Project: Photography Composition .
  1. Choose an electronic medium.
  2. Choose a theme
  3. Start your album
  4. Divide the theme into appropriate sections if it’s a broad topic
  5. Create a Table of Contents (with hyperlinks to each section if you have 180 pages!) 
  6. Add the pictures
  7. Learn more
  8. Practice what you learn.
  9. Take your own photographs and add them to the project.
  10. Keep learning

No comments: